Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2017

It's a Process.

This week was a week of another batch of new and interesting learning experiences, but a place where I can put a post in the ground and say "I will grow because of this".  This week included my visit from my university supervisor,  starting from ground zero and the exciting news of recieving a grant and learning what happens with planning when you have snow days, delays and you have to be gone from school.   This entire process is just that a PROCESS- the perfectionist in me does not like being in the process, but I trust it and I know I am growing in it.  I am seeing some of that growth, but I am also seeing more areas to grow in.

My week started with a visit from my university supervisor Dr. Laura Rice.  There is something about observation and feedback that I crave, I know it will help me grow, but as my very first one I have to say it was a little intimidating.  It wasn't my best day, but it was the best day to receive that feedback! Dr. Rice saw things I didn't see and provided the context around why the pieces I needed improvement on mattered.   It was also a refreshing reminder after we discussed and debriefed the day, that she challenges me, because she knows I want to grow.

The other learning moment of the week was: adaptability is key.  Snowdays are a double edged sword, I want a work day- but it is also sometimes frustrating, it messes up ALL my plans.  It was good to learn this week, that I have to be willing to adjust and go with the flow.


Gems of the Week:
  • We received a grant through our local Education Foundation!  This grant will fund a flower arranging project that will happen in the classroom and then continue outside of the classroom where students will plan and present a 'How To' workshop on flower arranging at the community center.
  • I am helping with leadership development events, and this week was able to help a few students practice extemporaneous speaking and their creed speaking, which was exciting. 
  • These students just make me laugh.  
  • This week we had a Job Prep Boot Camp Seminar in State College, this was exciting to see what is next and really received some feedback on that. 


Opportunities of the Week: 


  • Clarity in directions and questions.  I can give directions, I know how, but I need to strive to be concise and to the point- the provide clarification if I am not.  
  • Connectedness: Does my bell work connect to my objective, then to my closing activity
  • Always answer: What are we learning? Why are we learning it? Why does it matter to me as a learner?
  • The details matter- taking one more glance at that assignment or test matters. 

Here is to a weekend at the ACES leadership conference and another week of teaching! 

3 comments:

  1. Remember that small successes add up to big successes. Making small changes can make a big impact. Keep doing great things and keep being a rock star at reflection.

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla. I know how you feel about the perfectionist thing. We all know im not really a perfectionist, but I really want to be doing well. the learning process of failing all the time is painful, and its taking me longer to get this than anything i stuck out before. I miss feedback as well. I think we got so used to having it that when we are not getting from our peers it feels a little lonely. I had similar problems as you. two or three of your weeks opportunities were also things for me. I think your doing a great job, because thats who you are. I know even though you may struggle, your students will always get your best effort. Feel free to call any time you want to talk about something. I'm working on my listening skills, and I will refrain from sharing my experiences

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "Opportunities of the Week" section. Really a good practice to pick one or two things to focus on each week!

    ReplyDelete