Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Top 10

Sometimes so much happens, and I don’t know what to write about, and even days that I miss comforts of home and people… But how about 10 things I love about Costa Rica, the culture and the people.

1. The greeting. I’m not sure why, but I find it welcoming and beautiful.  It is a quick hug/arm wrap with a kiss on the cheek.  I know it sounds odd if you haven’t experienced it, but there is something so caring about it, and it is even with people you just meet. 

2. The respect for mothers and families.  It is incredible, and it is for elders and grandparents as well, it is such a rich loving respect.  I know that we have this our families too, but here because of a language and cultural barrier, sometimes I simply observe and this is one of the most beautiful things.  Mom  & Dad, Thank you I miss you and I am thankful for you daily. 

3. The Welcoming culture, I will be having dinner with the family that has a fruit stand in town this week, doors are literally always open.

4. The food. It is incredible.  Some days my clothes feel tight, others really loose.  

5. Cafecito, I think I mentioned this in a prior blog, but it is a tradition that around 4 in the afternoon we sit down, and have coffee and bread or some sort of pastry, and simply visit. Sounds perfect doesn’t it?

6. The simplicity of living, both in materials and the slower pace of society.

7. The completely random sights and sounds: the clown walking down the street, the horse on the back of a pick up truck, the closed bridge that is the sight of the town and washing my hair in a bucket a few times.

8. The Dancing- seriously, you can tell I was born in the Midwest when you put me on a dance floor full of Ticos, but thank you nice Costa Rican man that taught me how to Salsa, I will be sure to keep learning. 

9. Other gringo travelers.  Riley and Amelia have been to of the biggest blessings of friendships on this trip- there is nothing better than someone that wants to travel the world and change the world to take a long walk with and talk about everything from food, culture, relationships or past travels.

10. I love that it is hard….I didn’t think I would say that, and in the big picture it is not that hard, but I’m glad I am learning lessons about life, about the important things.  Spanish and research are important, but life, family, friends and Christ are a little more.

2 comments:

  1. Let's schedule those cafe times on the 10th, ha lol 😃 Cannot wait to see your dance moves 😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola, Señorita Kayla, como esta? Tiene Usted toda la razón de que en nuestra cultura se trata de Buena Comida Y Combibir. Nos Da mucho orgullo de que Usted escojio un país de habla hispana para crecer espiritualmente y practicar su Español.... Porque Usted habla y entiende muy bien :) nos va encantar escuchar sus experiensas en Costa Rica. Reciba Michisimos Saludos De Salvador (Sal) abrazo de los que El da.y una sonrisa de ahoreja ahoreja :)
    Hasta la proxima, Familia Montes

    ReplyDelete