Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Now What?



The anxiety level started to increase at about 8:30 in the morning after our group finished our last group reflection…I was about to be in Costa Rica solo…  It skyrocketed when we drove up to the bus stop where I was about to get out. “You’ll be fine”  “You’re going to do great”  “Good luck” ….they kept saying it all morning, and although deep down I know they really mean it, it was the last thing I wanted to hear.  Just let me be upset and be a strong independent woman…okay a stubborn some what scared to death, somewhat dependent, anxious woman!
But really now what?  Now is the test in a way.  I took the bus back to Turrialba and started a new. 

A new host family. 
I will be with this couple for 3 weeks, and after night one I know I am going to enjoy every second of it.  They are the sweetest young couple that is an example of hospitality, caring spirits, and marriage that I know I will learn from. (Yes marriage, no, I am not planning on this anytime soon). But they are so encouraging and it takes a special group of people to take in another student and allow me to come into their lives, ask questions about their culture and lifestyle and not be offended.  They are open their home, and their hearts.  Oh and the food- riquísimo (delicious!)

A new project.
I will be doing undergraduate research at the Spanish Institute and other places in Costa Rica these next 6 weeks.  The process is interesting, I don’t know what to expect all the time and making a schedule has proven to be a little difficult.  But this next step means continued learning about myself and about students.  The hopes after this research is complete is to help improve the programming here, prepare me to bring students of my own on a trip like this some day, and advance my Spanish language skills.

And hopefully some new friends! 

So my friends left, left me on the side of the road at a bus stop (don’t worry my professor made sure I was safe).   See you later friends…..now to find some new ones, in a language that I don’t feel like I can properly express myself or awkwardness quite yet.  I am a relationship driven person, but relationships require me to reach out and be confident in my language skills and talk to people.  I know people at the school, and met a few at church and my two favorite fruit vendors on the street, so here is to making new and lasting friendships.  

I know this could be a really lonely process if I let it, but it can also be another way HE shapes, encourages and challenges me.  

1 comment:

  1. Remember it Kayla - it will be pure joy! Struggle bus-Yes! Experiences-yes! New Relationships-yes! Memories-TO LAST A LIFETIME.! And never forget- you're the same Kayla Hack-just a new chapter in the life of... Stay strong! I love you-ALWAYS! Mom

    ReplyDelete