Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Home

“We always find our way back home….with compass in my hand and a restless soul.” – Andy Grammer


Home… I said for months while at school, I can’t wait to go home. And it was true, I couldn’t wait. And...it. was. awesome. When I could take the winding back roads like a pro and knew right where to slow down and speed up, then I took a right into what looks like the middle of a field to most, to the best wooded driveway view that brought peace.... and best of all the door was unlocked. I was home, and it felt good.  I have slept the best I have in days, but it was the hug from my mom, and sitting and catching up in the hot tub, it was sanding and applying epoxy to the canoe with my dad, and the constant picking on from Aaron that really made me feel at home. 

I was only home for a total of 64 hours, but it was needed and again, I can’t wait to be back in August. I think home, more than anything, is a feeling.  They say home is where the heart is…and I agree.  But I think when your heart belongs to Christ, relationships and changing and exploring the world, you call many places “home”. 


Home is the smell of fresh air, acres of woods, and unending love and laughter.

Home is rocking in the living room, on the porch or simply chatting with my mom over coffee.


Home is working with my dad, when words are few but the time is precious.

Home is catching up or quoting Tommy Boy with the best brother anyone could ask for.

Home is sitting at 140 Barnard Street with coffee, tea and soup and life chats with two incredible gentlemen I have the privilege of calling great friends.


Home is baking, anywhere for anyone. 
 
Home is long chats with the Lindsey and Sarabeth Royer about how good the God we serve is.


Home is phone calls from friends that continually remind me who I am.


Home is the couches of House Church in Sioux County Iowa.

Home is Anna’s House, in Indianapolis, Indiana where God stole my heart for inner-city outreach, hunger and the Spanish language.

Home is quiet moments with coffee and the Word.


Home is the Penn State, “We Are”, Nittany Lion, Happy Valley pride that I gladly carry! J

Home is the gorgeous smiles and deep brown eyes and dirt covered little feet of Swaziland, Africa.

Home is The 231, where “the struggle is real, but Jesus is realer  we listen, encourage and challenge each other in the Lord, nerd out about teacher things, and practice our wife skills.

But home is also to come, I know that home will be Turrialba, Costa Rica, where a family will gladly (I hope, I mean at least they will laugh at me) take me in to their home.  This summer I will be studying abroad and conducting undergraduate research in Costa Rica.  I am excited to feel at home, a feeling that sometimes takes a while, but one I know this traveling heart of mine will experience…. (More to come on what I am doing in Costa Rica, stay tuned!) 

But more than the trip to Costa Rica, with a short stop in Ecuador, the “home” to come, is where I get to finally sit at the feet of my Savior, in HIS presence, worshiping Him along with all those that called him Lord and Savior, and I.CAN’T.WAIT.  Although I doubt it most of the time, I know that He calls me His masterpiece, creation and daughter, which means this travelers heart, and relational heart was created for Him, by Him and for a purpose.  I am continually amazed the “homes” he leads me to, and I am thankful that because of His mercy and grace He continues to use me and allow me to walk with others, and learn from others on our way ‘Home’.

Home is where the heart is, I can only hope my heart and my view of home continue to grow through plane tickets and phone calls….I’m going home.





4 comments:

  1. Safe travels!! God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma and Great Grandma would be so proud of you! I'm sure they are looking over you. You really do know why we are put on this earth. You Go Girl! Miss you and your smile.

    ReplyDelete