Pages

Monday, April 3, 2017

The Weeks Keep Flying... Top 5 of the Home Stretch.

This was a weird week, one with a lot of ups and downs-  and if flew by!  I realize that is the life of a teacher, the ups and the downs- and days that seem to go on forever and days that fly!  I decided to take a different approach of the week, going with my top 10...not the top 10 best things that happen, but 5 important moments, or insights from the past week.  


5 Things About my Week:

1.  Floriculture- this is one of my highlights!  It has been really neat to teach and it is an area that I have been able to own- and an area students just LOVE.  The week before last we made corsages and boutonnieres, and this past week we made all around arrangements and gave them away to a few people in the school.  It turns out this is the PERFECT sales pitch! This should allow us to sell quite a few before Easter. 

2. Directions are difficult.  I say this on a weekly basis... it is something that I simply can't seem to nail down.  I know HOW to do it, it is the putting it into practice that I struggle with.  I know this simply means slowing down, being prepared and asking if students have questions. 
floral sale coming soon!

3. Agricultural Biology. This past week we started a new unit,  and I decided to branch off a little bit.  Normally we common plan this class and I go with Mr. Masser and Ms. VanSant on whatever they are thinking- but I decided to try something a little different, and it worked!  The end of it didn't so well, but I realized that when you make a lesson your own even minor tweaks, it changes my confidence level teaching it.  

4. Oh Welding....I really enjoy my introduction to agricultural mechanics class.. they are a breath of fresh air everyday!  We started welding and they are all at very different points, this is exciting to me because we get to pair them purposefully and work differently with different students.  

5. I teach students not agriculture...this is a phrase I have said, I have heard many say- but one that finally hit me.... I think a lot of this semester I have been worried "did they get this.." "did they get that..." "Are they enjoying this..." "I'm behind on that..." When really I need to continue to focus on individual students and how do I teach them, where they are at with some content.  


This week I know will be a whirlwind as well!  Dr. Rice is visiting along with Matt Snyder one of my classmates and the assistant Principal at the high school will also observe me.  We have a meeting, Braves on the Move workouts and planning for things to come!  

Areas of Growth for this week:
Differentiate a little more and try to be more purposeful about it
Directions.Directions.Directions. 
Formative Assessment and Summarizing the class. 
Continuing to try new things and new ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment