Pages

Friday, April 14, 2017

It's Bittersweet.

It is becoming bittersweet.  The end is near....very near, one week near- and part of me is ready and part of me is not.  This week Mr. Masser started to transition back into some of the classes I have been teaching, which again is bittersweet- but so great.  This week is all about observation, flowers, mentors and students.  This blog might be in four different sections, but these are the four big parts of the week. 

Observation and Reflection. 

Observation at the end is necessary.  A few weeks ago when Dr. Rice visited, we talked about how the transition out of student teaching would go.  There are various assignments that need to be wrapped up for Penn State, so the time, especially the last week is needed, but more than that, the observation time is needed as well.  Sitting back and observing while grading and finishing up other assignments an project allows me to see things in the classroom that I didn't before.  This week I have heard and seen things I haven't- who talks to who, how students do well and how they struggle.  I saw these things when I was teaching, but not as much as I do now.  I also have the opportunity to observe Mr. Masser, who by the way is an incredible teacher.  Observing him again helped me to see even more of the importance of some of the areas of improvement he has been telling me about, I have been trying to grow in those areas, and think I have- but seeing him then implement those things so well is helpful!  It is a great time to reflect on the semester and the years ahead.  I know that it takes a long time to become a master teacher, so leaving his classroom wanting to grow even more is a good thing! 

Flowers and Ideas. 

This week we did quite a bit of flower arranging in horticulture- and I LOVED it!  We decided to do a flower sale for teachers, we sold 10 arrangements and they were gorgeous, the students did an excellent job.  A few girls came in during their free period and my prep and then again after school to help make sure we finished everything.  It was cool to see them proud of the product they were creating.  This unit has spurred so much brainstorming between Mr. Masser and Ms. VanSant and I which has been fun- great minds think alike and come up with some pretty cool ideas, more things for years to come!  The one thing about this unit that is challenging to me is how to get students that aren't quite as excited about flower arranging engaged and how to budget time for a process that can't necessarily be rushed.  It has been a learning process, but a good one.  

Mentors- the best. 

One of my favorite moments this week was with Mr. Masser and Mrs. VanSant after school.  I brag on them a lot, but it's because they deserve it.  Well Mrs. VanSant and I are also in the midst of our welding unit which has been awesome to co-teach with her and I have learned a lot from her.  On Wednesday I decided I needed to experiment with a vase arrangement to teach it properly the next day and to practice welding- and what was cool is we did it together.  Not only is it cool to work alongside two awesome teachers- but it is awesome to learn from them and with them- and to laugh with them, a little friendly competition and tough love never hurt anyone.  Seriously, I couldn't have asked for two better mentors. 

Students, why we do this. 

Lastly these kids- seriously, they make me laugh, proud, frustrated, heart broken and happy all at the same time.  I could talk about them all day long.  The laugh this week came from one student that is in agricultural mechanics and Foods Unwrapped.  During our welding lesson on welding joints we used frosting and graham crackers to demonstrate.  He was reading the label on the frosting can- and goes "Ms. Fat" (his jaw dropped, he covered his mouth) "Oh my gosh I mean Ms. Hack- this frosting has saturated fat in it, my brain and my mouth were not working together and I wanted to impress you that I knew the saturated fat!"  How can I be upset by that? Love these students. The other is one that just makes my heart hurt and spin all at the same time- a student that struggles in school, and doesn't like school- who has mentioned drop out on multiple occasions.  One that says he wants to be a welder, but sometimes doesn't want to participate in our welding unit.  After talking with the student and trying to encourage and motivate- along with conversations with his counselor a few times, it's evident teachers keep giving and keep caring, but he doesn't take it. I only know the 52 minutes in class- and the short conversations with the counselor so I will take the good days, keep encouraging- knowing that is what all the teachers are doing- hoping for the best. Another reason this ending/new beginning is bittersweet. 

1 comment:

  1. Well done. It will be exciting to watch you take these experiences and all that you have learned and apply it to you new program! Make this last week the best yet!

    LR

    ReplyDelete