Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A Supportive Administration

I have said a few times to a few different people that if I could stay at Pequea Valley I would.... because it is extremely welcoming and I couldn't have asked for a better placement and part of that is because of the support the school administration gives to students and faculty.

On multiple occasions this semester I have had the joy of visiting with Mr. Arlen Mummau and Mrs. Amy Koberstein, and their words of wisdom have challenged and encouraged me throughout my time here.  The first time I visited with them was after a few interviews I have had.  We went through what I was asked in the interview, who interviewed me and what they said and some of the green and red flags I may have seen.  I shared with them some of the questions and concerns and they offered some important things to ask the administrations I was interviewing with- they gave the little boost of confidence I needed.  They continued to ask me questions a few more questions such as:

  • Who asked most of the questions?
  • Who gave you a tour? 
  • What did they say about budget?
  • Who would be your support person?

Additionally they shared with me the importance of a supportive administration and a common purpose and philosophy.  Mr. Mummau mentioned how it is not all the time that you will see an administration be as supportive as the two of them are.  He has worked in administration in various schools and said how PV is special- how they work together is unique- and I couldn't agree more.  They also shared their experiences teaching in schools and areas they were not familiar with, which was helpful again to have an outside perspective.


Observation Visit
My most recent visit with them was an observation visit.   I asked if one of them would do a formal observation as they would observe teachers here at Pequea Valley.  They use the Danielson Model, which was a refreshing process to go through.  We talked through the pre-observation process as well as the observation and post observation.  It was helpful to be evaluated in a different way and see what an administration looks for.

Overall I think what I appreciate most about these two administrators, along with all the faculty at Pequea Valley is that they care about students and they care about teachers- or as they say here, learners and facilitators.  From the many times that Mr. Mummau has reached out, checked in or asked if I would help with something to the times that Mrs. Koberstein checks in about classroom management issues.  A supportive administration makes a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment