Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

LifeKnowledge: Teaching at Pequea Valley

Leadership Style Brainstorm
This past week I had the opportunity to teach my first lesson at my cooperating center, Pequea Valley High School.  Our task was to use LifeKnowledge lessons from National FFA, adapt them how we see fit, and teach in our cooperating center.  I chose to adapt a leadership and career lesson to focus on how career and leadership success are important in the agricultural industry.  Overall this was a great experience!  I enjoyed being at Pequea Valley, receiving feedback from students and Mr. Masser and starting the transition to student teaching.  There are a few realizations I had after this lesson, as well as some gems and opportunities to grow.  



Sharing leadership styles

Gems:

Engagement:
My lesson, attitude and energy was appropriate to engage both groups of students I taught.  I felt the mix of individual to group teaching techniques created a variety of ways for students to be engaged.  Students are all engaged differently and different levels.  Creating learning experiences that allow visual, auditory and kinesthetic modalities to be used increased this engagement.  I was able to use playdough to sculpt concepts, a powerpoint to engage them visually and a discussion/interview to engage auditory learners.  I was also engaged- with a positive attitude and interest in the topic at hand- this is essential, because if I am not excited about what I am teaching it, why am I teaching it? 


Growth:
I was lucky enough to teach this lesson twice with some time to think and debrief and observe Mr. Masser teach.   As I reflected in that time I thought of things to change, but I also was able to see how Mr. Masser facilitated some of his learning experiences.  Grouping students and asking them to obtain supplies was a struggle of mine but from the first to the second this was an improvement.  In the second class I could adapt with the size of the class and was more comfortable.  The comfort and confidence helped me to welcome questions. 

Opportunities: 

Directions:
Defining Leadership & Success
This has been on my opportunities list so many times.  I KNOW how to give good directions, but it is so difficult.  It is definitely improving, but it is something I need to grow in. Chunking them and visually posting them is helpful.  I think now I need to move students and then give them more directions.   I think this will become easier when I am more comfortable where I am as well.  

Voice & Management:
Classroom management is going to be a challenge for me,  it wasn't bad by any means- but it is an area I noticed I will have to work at. I can be stern and 'lay down the law' but my size and higher voice simply makes it more difficult.  One of my professors mentioned that my voice and hand motions sometimes can add to this challenge,  which is an area I can improve upon. Through this I also realized the importance of learning students names and building rapport with them.  Which leads me to....


I'm ready.

Interviews! (speed dating style)
I may not be 100% ready, qualified, or have all the experiences, knowledge and assignments I need yet...but I am ready for that classroom.  As I taught the lesson and managed the class, I wanted to know names, stories and quirks of the class, but I am still a visitor.  My half day at Pequea Valley built up my excitement for the spring! I couldn't be more excited to learn from and alongside Mr. Masser and Mrs. VanSant and all of our students.   

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos and the linking of Life Knowledge in the blog.

    I am so excited for your #TeachAg Journey this Spring.

    ReplyDelete