Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Unit Plan Reflection

https://quotefancy.com/quote/756957/Elon-Musk-I-think-it-s-very-important-to-have-a-feedback-loop-where-you-re-constantly
I still haven't figured out how to balance my desire for specific, positive and critical feedback and my apprehension and defensiveness when I get it.  This is not specifically about receiving feedback on my unit plan but in general.  But this one I needed the critical feedback, I have room to grow.  Although I feel like I put a lot of time in, I should have taken my time a little more.    Here are a five take aways from my first attempt at a unit plan.


1. They are necessary.
I like to have things packaged in a way that makes sense, so writing unit plans makes sense to me.  Granted I tend to expand a little more than I need to in some areas of a unit, but they help narrow down a large topic into parts that make sense.  I definitely need to think about what is realistic to include in a certain amount of time- I can't fit 8 weeks of material in 3 weeks, even if I think it is really interesting.

2. "I am not detail oriented." Isn't an excuse anymore. 
I really don't like details, but I KNOW they are necessary.  In my unit plan I knew I was leaving out some of the details, but I didn't realize how many or how crucial they are.  These are not just for me, but they will help my students, my cooperating teacher while I am student teaching and possibly the administration.  I need to continue to provide more detail as far as supplies, learning objectives, adaptations and FFA/SAE integration.

3. Learning Objectives shouldn't be loaded.
In my unit plan I had a lot of double-barreled learning objectives.  I can easily split these and then decided how long each one would take and break things down by days.  I need to be more specific in these in general.

4. When in doubt, be specific. 
Because I don't know the students or what exactly they will know before this is a challenge, but in general I should always be more specific.  This applies to learning objectives and assessments, and throughout the entire plan.  The biggest area I should continue to be more specific in is in timing and which objectives will be taught on specific days.

5. Breathe easy, they get easier. 
Writing the first of anything is difficult and time consuming.  I wanted to be done so many times but the more I went back the more I realized I needed to fix it.  I know that this one I did needs a lot of work and revisions, and I honestly could have spent another hour or so on it.  I know it gets easier and now that I have a template, I can continue to make all the other ones.



2 comments:

  1. I like number 5 ... Breathe :)

    I am proud of all of you...where are the right point in each of your #TeachAg Journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla!

    I connect with this post quite a bit. I HATE details too! I have found in the classroom though, the details are what make the difference. By taking care of them now, you can pull out that unit plan without any worries about missing something.

    I have found it effective to actually share my unit plans with students to get feedback. This way they understand where they are going, and they are honest with me about if things move too fast, or too slow.

    Keep being a rock star!

    ReplyDelete