Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Unexpected Fits in Agriculture: Inquiry Based Instruction.

Who, What & Why:

Inquiry Cycle.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/WC/WC07600.pdf
Cultivating curiosity is part of my teaching philosophy, but the more labs we have and the deeper into this teacher preparation program, the more difficult I realize it is.  Because it is not always how I was taught. I did have one great chemistry professor in college that used inquiry-based instruction, but it was challenging for me to learn that way at first.  I agree that when using inquiry, especially at first if students are unsure of it, I need to be honest myself as a teacher and my students that it involves the unexpected (Alberta Learning).  Even though it involves the unexpected, there are methods to make it happen and it is something students do not something that is done to them (Alberta Learning).  Because inquiry involves experiencing or experimenting with something, comparing it to past and future concepts, and an element of reflection or evaluation I think it is very similar to Kolb’s experiential model.  In agricultural education, we talk about Kolb’s model in regards to SAEs but I think it is also applicable in the classroom.  Students have concrete experiences, reflect on their observations, find abstract concepts, and experiment again in the classroom as well.  This is inquiry.  In addition to this concept, there were a few other concepts I took away from the readings. 

Kolb's Experiential Model
http://www.nwlink.com/~%E2%80%89donClark/hrd/styles/learning_styles.jpg



Stop Collaborate and Listen

Good inquiry requires collaboration, between students and others in the school.  Various articles stated that it is important to work with the science department to plan and implement some of the inquiry.  Being that much of agricultural education now is aligned with science standards this makes sense.  I have seen the importance of this collaboration in various locations.  It’s these types of collaborations that deepen student knowledge of the content and scientific process and continue to prepare them for college and careers. 


Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail

This quote could be the title of every blog I have written lately.  Inquiry is more of a ‘guide on the side’ pedagogy, versus a ‘sage on the stage’ but it requires a great deal of planning.  I also think it requires confidence and competence in the content area, and in the research skills to also discover answers as you guide students to do the same.  I know that this will require more front loaded work for me, but will be more beneficial for students in the end. 


Action without Reflection is a Waste of Time

I am a product of quality reflection and now understand the importance of implementing quality of reflection.  I think observations and evaluation are in essence reflection practices for science based concepts. The Alberta Education article shares the importance of reflection on the learning process itself as well.  Not only is it important to do reflection, through observations and evaluations, but it is also important to explicitly give student reflection prompts and ways inquiry connects to industry and college standards and practices. 

Inquiry Expects More

There are numerous articles, teachers and parents that I am sure we would say are expecting too much of students, and yes maybe in some ways we are as an entire system.  But I would also argue there are ways and occasions where it is important to expect more.  In Dr. Thoron & Dr. Myers (2014) research on inquiry based instruction he interviewed teachers and this quote resonated with me, “if my overall goal is to make sure students memorize something then we memorize it, if I want them to learn deeper knowledge I use inquiry and I assess them accordingly.” I couldn’t agree more, it expects them to be realistic and think deeper, and that is something we should expect.  Along with that various teachers comment on the evaluation and assessment of inquiry, and related it back to student being able to justify answers.  This is an essential skill, to be able to justify answers and findings, in any field we are in.  And if the vision of agricultural education is to encourage students to make a lifetime of informed choices in the global agricultural and food industry, then I think inquiry might be a great place to teach this. 


References:

Warner, A.J. & Myers, B.E. (2011) What inquiry-based instruction? Retrieved from https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/WC/WC07500.pdf 

Warner, A.J. & Myers, B.E. (2014). Implementing inquiry-based teaching methods. Retrieved from https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/WC/WC07600.pdf 

Alberta Learning. (2004) Focus on inquiry: a teacher’s guide to implementing inquiry-based learning. Retrieved from https://education.alberta.ca/media/313361/focusoninquiry.pdf 

Thoron, A.C., Myers, B.E., & Abrams, K. (2011). Inquiry-based instruction: How is it utilized accepted, and assessed in schools with national agriscience teacher ambassadors? Journal of Agriculture Education, 52(1), 96-106. DOI: 10.5032/jae.2011.01096 
Note: Retrieve online from http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ955679.pdf 



4 comments:

  1. Stop, Collaborate and Listen haha (makes me think of this: https://youtu.be/rog8ou-ZepE)

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you tied in Kolb's model of experiential learning. Brilliant! In practice, it is entirely possible for students to arrive at false conclusions from the experiments that they conduct and that is okay, but we as educators need to be able to encourage reflection and help them see flaws that they can correct in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Michael on linking the Kolb's model. I didn't think of that one, but I think it's neat how we can connect those theories. I sometimes like to pull similarities to Bloom's.

    I also love the idea that it's something they do, not something done to them. If we asked ourselves who was doing the "doing", we would be able to gauge whether or not it was student driven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, Kayla! Learning and teaching using the inquiry method is difficult at first. We as teachers are so programmed to spoon feed information to our students and we don't want them to struggle...but...the struggle is when the learning/discovery occurs! Great words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete