Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Problems & Projects: 10 Questions.

This weeks readings bring together what I really hope to bring to all of my classes.  We solve problems every day, some are just bigger or more complex or scientific than others.  Problem based learning is great, but as many of the readings alluded to, it is not the easiest to implement, stick with and keep realistic and relevant.   It requires an atmosphere that is encouraging and stretching, because it can be challenging for students that have simply been taught 'receive, remember, restate'. Project based and problem based learning cultivates curiosity. As I went through I started to make a mental checklist of the questions I need to ask myself to see if I am using problems based learning.  Here are 10 questions I want to ask myself as I plan units and lessons that involve problem based learning. 

1. Is this an authentic problem or project and is the context I am teaching it in or around realistic? 
With project based learning this could look like a project or an issue in the community and the it can be presented to a realistic audience. 

2. Have I scaffolded learning up to this point? 
Scaffolding is extremely important, depending on the types of problems students are being asked to solve, and the content they are being asked to apply.  I think problem solving needs to have a lot of scaffolding at first, and then supports can slowly be removed so students can make decisions of how they want to approach solving newer problems.  

3. Am I helping students define the goals and make mental models? 


4. Am I teaching for transfer? 
The problems I pose or projects I involve students on should tie to previous content and help them apply it.  They should be able to transfer these problem solving skills to other problems in the future. 

5. Are students actively learning, thinking and searching- and is this learning, thinking and searching stretching? 
In both problems and projects, students should be applying content not simply knowing it.  This requires 21st century skills in project based learning. 

6. Am I providing a way for students to reflect and evaluate the process? 
Action without reflection is simply a waste of time, this continues to ring true and takes us back to Kolb's model of experience and reflection once again. 

7. Am I assessing students and how?  
In project based learning, do I have another stakeholder assessing or giving feedback and if so why and how are they connected.

8. Are students asking and developing questions?
With problem based learning students may have more limited solutions, but in project based they should have an open ended driving question. 

9. Do students have a voice and choice?  
This involves responsibility, both in project based and problem solving.  This responsibility and clarity should be provided to students at the beginning. 

10. Is it interesting? 
Project and problem based learning should be interesting to students, yes it should have meaning and dive into significant content, but it should also be interesting. 


2 comments:

  1. Problems and Projects is a great title to this, Kayla. I really enjoyed reading this and being able to dive into it. It really makes me reflect on past teachers, current projects we are working on, and things that I hope I can get my students to accomplish and understand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading in the article that they can be learning the content, or factual knowledge at the same time as the procedural knowledge (or the knowledge on how to problem solve). I think sometimes, it's necessary to teach the content before-hand, but sometimes it's okay to let them find the content on their own, and then fill in the parts they might have missed. It makes it more difficult for the teacher, but much more rewarding for the student.
    I also think assessing student learning with PBL is really hard. Do you think they always need a stakeholder to assess/give feedback?

    ReplyDelete