Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

See Me After Class: The Things That Make Me Nervous. #psuaged17


“15% of new teachers don’t make it to the second year. Nearly half quit within 5 years. “

Well that is encouraging…. It is not the first time I have heard things like this.  It is reality, but it still makes me nervous. Can I really do this? Do I have what it takes? I don’t think I am ready for this. The list of questions go on and on.  Although I didn’t like it at times I know this book was good to paint a picture of reality for me. This section of the book sparked a little more reflection for me, personal and for my future students.

Four Quotes that Explain My Nerves:


1. “Students who don’t perform well on standardized tests constantly get the message they are stupid.”
As a student I didn’t like these tests, and I know my students will not either.   These tests will create challenges for students that fail them and even the ones that do well on them.   It will also create challenges for me as I try to teach and prepare my students for these tests.  It also brings into conversation what tests and grades are meant for what do they actually reflect?  I think a variety of people would give different answers- are they to reflect effort? Or knowledge of the material?  Grades are necessary in a school system, but I don’t always think grades and learning are synonyms.  But at the end of the day no matter the comments I leave or the feedback I offer or how much I reward effort, a college or job is going to look at students transcripts, not my comments whether I find that fair or not. 

2. “I knew I needed to work with him individually, but with 33 other students I often overlooked him.”

This specific story was about an ESL student.  As a language learner of Spanish, a past tutor of an ESL student and a facilitator of ESL students this one hits home and I recently saw the reality of it.  Recently I trained a team of students who have had English since kindergarten, but it was still their second language.  As I worked through the sessions I continued to see the looks of confusion, I switched back and forth, allowed them to use English or Spanish, but I still felt I could not provide everything they needed to be as successful in the same way I had other students I trained this summer. One student in particular was always shy and nervous and frequently confused – when I waited for them to complete a task I realized how easy it is to overlook these students.  We have deadlines, more tasks to be done and expectations we have to meet and it is easier to speed through it, and hope they received half of what you wanted them to.  Sure I took a class about this, and I have a few resources and Spanish in my back pocket, but providing assistances to struggling students ESL or not will always be a challenge and I will probably never be satisfied- just as this teacher shared in See Me After Class.


3. “Did you see me mom?  I hadn’t. I had been so busy grading that I missed his big moment.”  And “No sane person would want to date them.”

No I am not in the classroom yet. No I am nowhere near having children, but yes I do worry about things like this.  Because the desire of my heart is to be really great teacher, but also to be a great wife and mom someday- I can’t help but think of these things, and I think it is a valid concern.  Whenever a veteran teacher shares with our classes I ask them:  “How do you do it?”  How have you stayed in the classroom for 20 plus years and been a wife and a mother? And invested in more than your classroom?    I am not sure we will ever get a clear answer or method to this but I did appreciate that one teacher shared in the book to go home, leave at a certain time and leave things at school to hold yourself accountable.  She felt later in life she was still a successful teacher.  Elden offered ways to make grading papers more manageable by setting expectations for yourself, and for your students. I liked her idea of using rubrics and essentially beginning with the end in mind.  I am looking forward to learning some of these tips and tricks from my cooperating teachers. 


4. “All teachers have bad days,. Rookies just have more of them…Helping rookies is tough sometimes. They can be cocky, whiney, hardheaded, or all of the above… 


This one is for you Dr. Foster, Dr. Rice and Dr. Ewing and Mr. Masser and Mrs. VanSant- I apologize in advance!  But really this was really good for me to hear.  I realize that sometimes I will be difficult and make you shake your head.  Thank you for being there and answering all the questions you have thus far and the ones you will continue to answer.  I am looking forward to the next year spent learning from all of you, but I am nervous too!  I will try to remember that it is a PROCESS and that I will “Slowly becoming a better teacher in the process.”

1 comment:

  1. I think the best lesson I remember to help me get through this was from a guest speaker in AEE 311. I can't remember her name but I remember her saying to us that we cannot try to do it all. As Ag Teachers we are expected to spend a great deal of time working, so much so that when you mention Mrs. Hoy's (From Tyrone) kids you need to differentiate between her students and her biological children. I think especially as new teachers we have a responsibility to work inside our bounds. Teachers that don't do this are the ones that don't last five years. When I start working at an Ag program it may be rough for a few years because Mr. Rider can only manage four CDE events. We need to remember to tell ourselves that this is alright. I have also heard from many Ag teachers that involving your families is essential. Don't be afraid to bring your kids along and include them. I would also encourage a final thought that I got from The Innovators Mindset. Teaching is all about relationships. This means relationships with peers, administrators, and student. To me I also include the relationships we have with others and our community. Don't forget that your emotional well being is the most important thing. If my wife is mad at me I won't be able to bring my best to class

    ReplyDelete