Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

A Story and a Half


In 11 short days I will be on a plane to Swaziland Africa for an experience of a life time. Here is a little of the story of my heart for the trip, and a small bit on the country of Swaziland.

 One of the reasons I want to go on this trip is to have an experience that is different than anything I have ever experienced.  I am ready for God to completely break my heart for him, to show me Himself and His love in a light I have never seen it before, and  also to see how even though we are sinners, and deny Christ in our daily lives, he still finds us worth it, and lovable as His Children.   The last few years I have developed a heart for service and youth, especially young girls.  Our world constantly tells youth, they are not worth it, pretty enough, good enough, smart enough, strong enough, skinny enough..ect.  Knowing what that feels like, it breaks my heart, and is part of the reason I wanted to go on this trip.  I know that what some of the Swazi youth have gone through is nothing in comparison, and I hope that God will show me more of His love through that.   

I. Can't. Wait. But as I wait, I have been praying for God to prepare our hearts, and for Him to be the center of this trip.  Here is a little bit about Swaziland:

Size:  Smaller than New Jersey, landlocked between South Africa and Mozambique

Population: 1,403,362

Life Expectancy: 50 years

Health:  Swazi is the number one country with HIV/AIDS prevalence with over 25% of the population effected.  Those that are treated are a small portion, and to give you an idea of hospitals- there is approximately 2.1 hospital beds per 1000 people.  

Agriculture Facts: 70% population works in agriculture labor, limited supplies of portable water, wildlife is being depleted and overgrazing and soil are issues as well.  

Government/Economy:  Monarchy, 40% unemployment, exports: soft drink concentrate, sugar, wood pulp, cotton yarn, citrus and canned fruit. 

These are only a few quick facts, I will share more about the country and culture as I experience it.  We fly out June 26, from Chicago to Amsterdam, to Paris the Johannesburg South Africa, then bus ride to Manzini Swaziland!  

Prayer Requests:
-A sense of team community
-Health and Safety of all
-Prayer against spiritual attacks
-Prepared hearts and minds
-His Will to be done!

With Servants Heart, 

Kayla 

4 comments:

  1. Love the blog post! What a beautiful servant heart. You are so right, those girls need to know they are good enough, that they are worth it. It's a message I still struggle with sometimes, too, so it's powerful to share it. Can't wait to share with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a servants heart! Can't wait to leave to head over there and serve with you!!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the title of this blog and your heart for young girls. Your health fact about Swazi, there are 2.1 hospital beds per 1000 people, is crazy. Never heard that fact, thank you for posting it. It puts the need into perspective.

    I can't wait to get to know you more so that we can start laughing together! See you soon pretty lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you have a huge heart for the youth and ready for God to break your heart. I am excited to go along with you on this amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete